[CAUT] Steinway rebuilds

Jon Page jonpage at pianocapecod.com
Tue Feb 15 18:39:03 MST 2011

>Brent Fischer wrote: If you are spraying lacquer with sealers you
>might as well include damper chasers for both sides of the piano.
>It's semi-permeable as opposed to nearly impermeable with varnish
>and a good sealer is using fresh German shellac flakes.

Is this another magic varnish myth?  Varnish is another formulation of shellac.
Claiming that shellac in one form or another is more of a moisture barrier
than lacquer causes some incredulity.

I'm not chemist or (Ron N could come up with a better made-up word here)
guru but I've seem no difference in tuning between varnished boards and
lacquered boards. Maybe it is because the boards I see are reconditioned
with varnish on the bottoms and lacquer on the tops. Finish Hybrids.

Maybe the vessel which holds this seed this thought has a fisher.
--

Regards,

Jon Page