[CAUT] Steinway rebuilds

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Feb 15 20:43:00 MST 2011

On 2/15/2011 9:18 PM, Brent Fischer wrote:

> I'm going to take the high road on responding. Research proves my
> point, I'm just repeating it.

Research? On piano tuning stability as a result of using varnish instead
of lacquer on soundboards? That would make entertaining reading.

> Proving stability differences is just a mute point.

Well, no. That seems to be exactly the point.

>However, too many rebuilders use lacquer on
> boards because it's easy, not because it's in the best interest of
> the instrument.

At least a couple of techs providing service to my lacquered soundboard
redesigns have reported that they are notably more stable than the
original. There are a number of parameters for tuning stability in
design and build of soundboards that are argued by non designers and
builders of soundboards, but there is ample evidence that varnish is not
the magic ingredient that provides stability.
Ron N