[CAUT] Steinway rebuilds

Bob Hull hullfam5 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 15 21:37:35 MST 2011

Tuning stability is the result of good tuning technique while pitch stability is
the result of smart piano design and humidity control.    Tuning is separate
from the work of rebuilding.   The best improvement I have found in pitch
stability is on pianos that have a horizontally laminated bridge cap.   An older
Ibach that I tune regularly has a vertically laminated cap but the laminations
are thick and few.  It is more stable than solid caps but not as stable as caps
with a higher number of thinner laminations.  A Baldwin D that Ron N.
rebuilt/redesigned has a bridge and board that maintain pitch better than almost
all pianos I tune.   Laminated bridge caps working with ribs that support the
soundboard and maintain its crowned shape  even under the pressure of the
strings have clearly shown superior pitch level control as the humidity changes.
 But, with all that said, if you want total pitch stability, get a keyboard and
enjoy the canned music.  I wonder if there is a danger in trying to get the
system too stable at the cost of lively tone.  As long as an instrument is
acoustically driven, the pitch will vary.  Don't make pianos too stable because
I am not ready to retire!

Bob Hull