[CAUT] NY hammers

Bob Maret itunepiano at aol.com
Wed Feb 16 09:06:52 MST 2011

Dale,

Thanks, for that,  It's a 20 year old piano.   I've seen a few high plates they are not uncommon.   - The action works ok when new, but just barely.  Sometimes the blow distance is 1/8" short of spec, to get aftertouch.  The problem comes after a few hammer filings, and the action can't be adjusted for close let-off and soft playing.  That's the issue I had with the old hammers.  So, I shimmed the stack and put in a request for new hammers which I installed over X mas break.  There was no factory lacquer dump on these hammers BTW.   They sucked up tons of  lacquer before the D became more powerful than the B next to it on stage.   It sounded good last night for a piano/clarinet thing so I'll likely leave the power as is, and go over the action again.  These are always a work in progress, especially when the piano is located in a busy rehearsal hall.

Bob Maret
UCF