[CAUT] finish/moisture barrier

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Wed Feb 16 14:11:53 MST 2011

Yes, epoxy does provide a true vapor barrier, but.it takes thicknesses that
rather preclude its use on piano soundboards.

As well, most epoxies break down over time due to exposure to ultraviolet
light so they need their own finish protections. When I use very thin
("coating") epoxies on piano soundboards I sand most of the coating away
after it has cured leaving just the amount that has penetrated the surface
of the wood and then I coat that with a clear finish that contains UV
blockers. This is not intended to be-nor is it-a vapor barrier.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich

Piano Design & Fabrication

620 South Tower Avenue