[CAUT] finish/moisture barrier

Brent Fischer brent.fischer at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 17 05:53:09 MST 2011

Hi Bob,
    The Forest Products Lab in Madison, Wisconsin also deviseda test to determine the effectiveness of commercial wood finishes.The results after three coats of finish and 14 days of drying time.Lacquer gave only 19% water vapor protection.  Shellac came inat 39%.  Varnish varies with spar varnish only at 30%, urethanegoing up to 37% and polyurethane varnish was the best finishtested to exclude water vapor at 66%.
Brent