[CAUT] daily digests

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Feb 17 07:11:51 MST 2011

Oh, I'm quite relaxed, thanks

Paul

From:
Israel Stein <custos3 at comcast.net>
To:
caut at ptg.org
Date:
02/16/2011 04:59 PM
Subject:
[CAUT] daily digests

 > Most lists to which I subscribe issue a "daily digest" with one email
  >per day.?
  >Lately, the CAUT list sends dozens of "digests" per day.? This day is
  >not yet over, and I've received 16.?
  >Is it supposed to work that way??
  >Greg Graham

I suspect that the "digest" setting on the listserve puts out a digest
every time the total messages in the queue reach a certain number of
kilobytes. If people keep hitting the "reply" button and reposting
everything that has been sent before over-and-over again, without deleting
anything (especially digest subscribers) then the target is reached sooner
- and so you get a digest every 45 minutes.

It is up to us to delete everything that is not relevant to the reply
before sending a reply to the list. Lately I have been seeing entire
digest being posted in reply to single messages - graphics files and all.
This is why a digest is being generated every 2-3 messages - most of the
crap that's being sent back with replies that shouldn't be there is
triggering those digests.

None of this affects people who elect to receive single messages - so,
relax, whoever it is that wants answers "right away". Just stick with the
individual messages option, and whatever is done with digests will not
affect you.

So, if we don't want 16 digests per day, we start being careful about
deleting all extraneous junk from our replies...

Israel Stein