[CAUT] Subject Line - was Re: daily digests

Albert Picknell agghubii at yahoo.ca
Thu Feb 17 08:23:06 MST 2011

--- On Wed, 2/16/11, Israel Stein <custos3 at comcast.net> wrote:

I suspect that the "digest" setting on the listserve puts out a digest every time the total messages in the queue reach a certain number of kilobytes. If people keep hitting the "reply" button and reposting everything that has been sent before over-and-over again, without deleting anything (especially digest subscribers) then the target is reached sooner - and so you get a digest every 45 minutes.

It is up to us to delete everything that is not relevant to the reply before sending a reply to the list. Lately I have been seeing entire digest being posted in reply to single messages - graphics files and all. This is why a digest is being generated every 2-3 messages - most of the crap that's being sent back with replies that shouldn't be there is triggering those digests...

...So, if we don't want 16 digests per day, we start being careful about deleting all extraneous junk from our replies...

Israel Stein

*******

Which reminds me...  It also wouldn't be a bad idea to change the Subject line when posting a reply that diverges from the original subject.

And when I see a Subject line that says something like "RE: [CAUT] CAUT Digest, Vol 23, Issue 76", I just delete it.

Cheers,
Bert