[CAUT] Lacquered hammers

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Feb 17 16:37:23 MST 2011

I've worked on several prewar (1920's) D's with original parts (hammers
anyway) that didn't have lacquer.  Very lightweight hammer that you could
practically penetrate with a needle held in your fingers.  In fact, I don't
think nitrocellulose lacquers were even invented until about 1920 or 1921? I
think it was awhile before they started using the stuff on hammers, though I
don't know for certain when that started.  I've heard various stories and
most of them suggest it was certainly post WWII, perhaps much later.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com

I have asked before, and will ask again, can anyone come up with a
SINGLE factory-installed Steinway D hammer that is lacquer-free? From
any era? This request is restricted to the Model D NY hammer from the
factory or the Basement. I'd really appreciate ONE piece of hard
evidence on this one. Anyone? I'll reiterate that I've been told by a
lot of Steinway people from at least 3 (4?) generations that ALL the
D's need at least any lacquer (or it's substitute) in ALL the hammers
to develop tone satisfactorily. A necessary element of tone development.

And we all know which pianos the artists tend to select, for whatever
reasons...

Doug

Doug Wood
Piano Technician