[CAUT] well-prepared piano Bunger 2nd ed

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Feb 18 13:18:12 MST 2011

A couple weeks ago there was a thread that mentioned Richard Bunger
Evans' Well-Prepared Piano, a book explaining how to prepare pianos to
perform music of Cage and those who followed his lead. The first
edition was published in 1973, by the Colorado College Press. He
produced a second edition in 1981, published by Litoral Arts Press.
The second edition has 94 pages compared to 45 of the first, so I got
a copy of the 2nd through interlibrary loan to see what the
differences are.
	What I found was that the text of the first edition is re-set mostly
intact. The second edition is a smaller format, so its first 63 pages
are essentially exactly the same, with only three changes that I
noticed in skimming, nothing very significant. The remainder of the
2nd edition contains three articles Bunger (he used his middle name
early in his career) published in Contemporary Keyboard Magazine, and
an extended bibliography of works using prepared piano techniques. So
if you have or have access to the first edition, you essentially have
all you might need from him. The articles are interesting, but don't
add a lot of practical value.
	I'll note that Bunger is very meticulous about giving instructions so
as not to harm the piano (he misses a couple things here and there,
like pressing on the damper pedal before inserting things). I'll also
note that Alan Eder's video covers most of the territory in the book.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination." -
Einstein