[CAUT] Lacquered hammers

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Sun Feb 20 12:15:27 MST 2011

Not so. I've been a vocal critic of hard-pressed hammers for decades. When I
first began to encounter and hear about the so-called "hard-pressed" hammers
requiring (according to the voicing gurus of the day) 50, 75 or 100 needle
strokes in the shoulders to give them a somewhat acceptable voice it seemed
contrary to everything I was learning about hammer design and hammer making;
I once encountered an automatic pneumatic machine in a European factory
designed to do nothing but drive needles repeatedly into the shoulders of
the high-end, heavily promoted name brand hammers they were using on their
grand pianos. In my opinion these were (are) not piano hammers. I didn't
(and don't) quite understand what they were (are) but they were (are) not
piano hammers. They should be repackaged and returned, shipping collect, to
their maker. If they came (come) to you already attached to a piano.well.you
will need a bigger box..

I realize I've been in the minority on this issue but there have been
others..

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich

Piano Design & Fabrication