[CAUT] Steinway selection

Douglas E. Wood dew2 at u.washington.edu
Fri Feb 18 21:12:06 MST 2011

My misunderstanding. Though my (not always reliable) memory is of far more bellies opening up in a good way over the first few years, than in a negative way. One notable D finally came fully into its own nearly 12 years in.! Of course I do live where the humidity changes are relatively few and small. And I do know that hostile environments CAN diminish a good belly pretty fast...

But then there is the problem of anticipating the maturation of the piano. That's not a trivial skill, either. But it is learnable.

Doug