[CAUT] Steinway "sound"

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Sat Feb 19 08:24:29 MST 2011

Horace-

I grew up on the Heifetz/Piatigorsky Brahms Double, and was shocked when I
first heard the old Thibaud/Casals recording.  I came to hear so much more
in T/C's approach, and the "in your face" quality of H/P seemed rather one
dimensional in contrast to T/C.

Listening to Rubenstein's 1940's Brahms recordings compared to Lupu's more
recent recordings, it seems as if something similar has happened to the
pianos. There is also a much wider separation of timbres, which Lupu uses
gloriously. Of course Lupu has access to all the studio touch-up techniques
and Rubenstein had one full take when the light came on.

Your comments on this thread are remarkably helpful. This is definitely an
HG topic!

Cheers!
Ed S.