[CAUT] Steinway "sound"

Horace Greeley hgreeley at sonic.net
Sat Feb 19 10:09:09 MST 2011

Hi, Ed,

At 07:24 AM 2/19/2011, you wrote:
>Horace-
>
>I grew up on the Heifetz/Piatigorsky Brahms Double, and was shocked
>when I first heard the old Thibaud/Casals recording.  I came to hear
>so much more in T/C's approach, and the "in your face" quality of
>H/P seemed rather one dimensional in contrast to T/C.

Yes; and, the concept of sound/presence/etc is going to vary for
Heifetz between Piatigorsky and Feuermann even more...not quite
clear, other than to remember apocryphal stories of how impossible
Heifetz became over time.

>Listening to Rubenstein's 1940's Brahms recordings compared to
>Lupu's more recent recordings, it seems as if something similar has
>happened to the pianos. There is also a much wider separation of
>timbres, which Lupu uses gloriously. Of course Lupu has access to
>all the studio touch-up techniques and Rubenstein had one full take
>when the light came on.

AH...I do have some Brahms for the class a couple of weeks form
now.  Some Rubinstein, but, since I found a wider "space" between he
and a couple of others, I dropped Lupu due to time constraints on the
class.  I'm trying to negotiate for room space on Sunday morning so
that we can hear some other/different things and talk about how and
why recordings vary so much, and why it is necessary to use a very
wide range of them when assessing audio equipment.

>Your comments on this thread are remarkably helpful. This is
>definitely an HG topic!

Thanks very much!  I've certainly gotten much more into it than I had
thought I would years ago.

>Cheers!

And, to you!

Horace