[CAUT] Touch input vs tone output

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sat Feb 19 10:44:51 MST 2011

On Feb 18, 2011, at 10:29 PM, Greg Graham wrote:

> At the MARC two years ago (and other conventions since), David
> Stanwood
> conducted experiments in a classroom demonstrating his variable
> action ratio
> balance rail setup in a Mason and Hamlin grand.  He had two or three
> technician-pianists play the piano with a low ratio (5:1), then play
> the same
> thing with a high ratio (6:1).  Same hammers, same voicing, just the
> balance
> point on the keystick changed.

Yes, this experimentation is VERY valuable, allowing that one variable
to be changed without changing anything else. When I played David's
piano a couple years ago, it was immediately obvious that the higher
ratio yielded a steeper voicing gradient: same difference in touch
gave an increased difference in tonal color. This was also obvious
sitting in the back of the room during a class where a couple people
played it. I knew _immediately_ which ratio was in use. Really
astounding, but in line with what I had come to believe based on
experience with various pianos, together with some theoretical
thought. The difference lies in acceleration.
	Now this is particularly important as we look at the history of
pianos and hammers: with a higher ratio, a softer hammer will have a
"higher" top end (the felt will compress more, the tone will have more
high partials). When you choose to go for a heavier hammer, as we all
know Steinway did during the 20th century, the high ratio becomes a
struggle for the fingers. So the ratio was reduced to compensate
(eventually, after adding lead weights was an obvious dead end), with
the side effect that acceleration was also reduced. Now, the softer
hammer felt simply didn't have the punch at the top end of the
spectrum it used to. What to do? Short story, add hardeners.
	This explanation makes a lot of sense to me, and also avoids some of
the confusion and contradictions I see in much of the conversation
about these matters. One school of thought holds, almost religiously,
that any hardener in any hammer is necessarily evil, citing as
evidence that in the "good old days" they didn't use it. Maybe they
didn't, but it was a different animal: a significantly lighter hammer,
at a considerably higher ratio. Apply the same lighter and softer
hammer to today's action, and it sounds like crap, doesn't do the job.
The same is true about applying a heavier hammer of equal softness,
IMO. It just doesn't do the job. It would be interesting to find out
what the lighter and softer hammer at higher ratio would sound like in
an instrument of today. (I don't know how much the belly has changed
as part of that mix.)
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
"Since everything is in our heads, we had better not lose them." Coco
Chanel