[CAUT] Fwd: Lacquered hammers

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Sat Feb 19 21:35:44 MST 2011

 Ok In short.  I'll stick to what Joe said.  HE had no knowledge about hardeners being used prior to his coming but  he also said he did not get the impression that  any thing had changed that much either.  SO extrapolate or not The felt they were using in 1947 when he joined Steinway as I stated earlier was really good.  That said he stated that they usually chose to us a dilute solution of lacquer and some form of thinner in only two places.  The first was around the bass tenor break with the low tenor hammers receiving some hardener.  The other was the top octave area. He and Ray both confirm that the Standard felt was either bought out or went out of biz sometime in the 60s.  I'll double check on that. Then Steinway started with another felt company which I don't recall for sure if that was American.
  If one is exposed to enough original sets of pre -war Steinway hammers and tried to get needles into the suckers then the odds are greater that you can't because there too D_ _ _ hard due to lacquer/shellac/or magic crystals.  When that solution was applied of course is anybodys guess but it was obviously done for a reason. SO lets extrapolate! ok?Somebody wanted a change in tone.
 I think it is the well rounded technician who explores all voicing techniques at his or her disposal and just because we don't happen to like the way some of  accomplished  doesn't mean that don't need to deal with the scenarios as they come our way. I am a proponent of modest voicing procedures and profess to be in this regard a minimalist in terms of needling or stiffening of hammers.  I don't need to justify either and mass amounts of either is a hard sell with me. It is my reality in the world of tone regulating.
 The other side of this discussion involves the cultural tonal shift.  It  takes time to develop any warm/less hot pressed hammer and play in time requires understanding and patience that the tone will bloom with playing.
 By in large this component of tone development (I believe) used to be a normal part of the break in mentality toward a new  piano. Now the instant on generation has its way and so hammers and voicing techniques have changed to give....Instant gratification.  What a wonderful concept.
 SO there are choices to be made build a different system and use softer hammers and or use a hammer that matches the system life gives you.

Dale S. Erwin
www.Erwinspiano.com