[CAUT] Fwd: Lacquered hammers

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat Feb 19 23:21:45 MST 2011

I'm still not convinced about the application of hardeners to the prewar
sets but what you say below I think that might very well be true, at least
from what one can glean from the condition of those hammers now.  But that
pre war felt and hammers was something quite different to begin with  and it
also seems that the amount of felt over the crown was less than is often
seen on the newer sets.  They may well have developed in a relatively short
amount of time.  You could play the current hammers (going back well into
the 1990s) for the rest of your life and without lacquer they're just never
going to do develop anywhere close to where they need to be.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com

 The other side of this discussion involves the cultural tonal shift.  It
takes time to develop any warm/less hot pressed hammer and play in time
requires understanding and patience that the tone will bloom with playing.
 By in large this component of tone development (I believe) used to be a
normal part of the break in mentality toward a new  piano. Now the instant
on generation has its way and so hammers and voicing techniques have changed
to give....Instant gratification.  What a wonderful concept.
 SO there are choices to be made build a different system and use softer
hammers and or use a hammer that matches the system life gives you.

Dale S. Erwin
www.Erwinspiano.com