[CAUT] Fwd: Lacquered hammers

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Sun Feb 20 00:04:05 MST 2011

Delwin D Fandrich

Piano Design & Fabrication

620 South Tower Avenue

Centralia, Washington 98531 USA

del at fandrichpiano.com

ddfandrich at gmail.com
Phone  360.736.7563

From: caut-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf Of Dale
Erwin
Sent: Saturday, February 19, 2011 8:36 PM
To: caut at ptg.org
Subject: [CAUT] Fwd: Lacquered hammers

Ok In short.  I'll stick to what Joe said.  HE had no knowledge about
hardeners being used prior to his coming but  he also said he did not get
the impression that  any thing had changed that much either.  SO extrapolate
or not The felt they were using in 1947 when he joined Steinway as I stated
earlier was really good.  That said he stated that they usually chose to us
a dilute solution of lacquer and some form of thinner in only two places.
The first was around the bass tenor break with the low tenor hammers
receiving some hardener.  The other was the top octave area. He and Ray both
confirm that the Standard felt was either bought out or went out of biz
sometime in the 60s.  I'll double check on that. Then Steinway started with
another felt company which I don't recall for sure if that was American.

In the early 1970s it was Bacon felt. It may have been GAF prior to that.
Someplace in there Bacon acquired GAF and began using their hammer felt
process. It was, I think, a faster process. I'm not sure it was better.

  If one is exposed to enough original sets of pre -war Steinway hammers and
tried to get needles into the suckers then the odds are greater that you
can't because there too D_ _ _ hard due to lacquer/shellac/or magic
crystals.  When that solution was applied of course is anybodys guess but it
was obviously done for a reason. SO lets extrapolate! ok?Somebody wanted a
change in tone.

Odd. I've been exposed to quite a few pre-war Steinway hammers and have
rarely found evidence of chemical hardeners.

ddf