[CAUT] Fwd: Lacquered hammers

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sun Feb 20 12:27:08 MST 2011

On Feb 20, 2011, at 12:23 PM, Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

>  And, after spending a week with Joe Bisceglie at the Steinway
> factory back in the mid-1970s the impression I left with was that
> they were now reluctantly adding chemical hardeners because of
> changes in the hammer felt they were using at the time. My lasting
> impression has been that this was a relatively recent—and not
> altogether desirable—thing.

	And that is also what Franz Mohr has said. What the techs thought was
that the hammers weren't as good as they used to be. (What _I_ think,
as I have stated a few times, is that this is at least in part an
artifact of the heavier hammer and the lower ratio).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu