[CAUT] Fwd: Lacquered hammers

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun Feb 20 13:36:31 MST 2011

Maybe, maybe not. I’ve also encountered pre-war Steinway hammers that have been chemically hardened. Memory—though certainly fallible after 30 to 50 years—tells me, however, that by far most of the hammers on the older—pre-war for the most part—Steinway (and other) pianos I encountered during the ‘60s through the ‘70s were not. I am just questioning when the chemical hardener was applied.
 Perhaps I wasn't clear but That was part of what I was saying.

 There seems to be a search for justification taking place of late that centers on an argument that “the factory always [chemically] hardened their hammers; only the chemicals have changed.” I have found no proof, either written or anecdotal, of this. And, after spending a week with Joe Bisceglie at the Steinway factory back in the mid-1970s the impression I left with was that they were now reluctantly adding chemical hardeners because of changes in the hammer felt they were using at the time.
 I concur, this is what I got from him as well. Whenever the Standard felt co. felt was lost,early 60s?, is when this more modern trend to massive amounts of solutions began

My lasting impression has been that this was a relatively recent—and not altogether desirable—thing.

It is unfortunate, I think, that such an easy, but ultimately limiting, solution (please forgive me…) to the problem was found in a chemical solution. There were then, and are now, so many ways to create good hammers that do not require the copious amounts of chemical hardeners now advocated by some.

 On the same page there....well probably,....mostly.
 Dale

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Design & Fabrication