[CAUT] Lacquered hammers

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sun Feb 20 14:57:48 MST 2011

On Feb 20, 2011, at 2:30 PM, rwest1 at unl.edu wrote:

> Most of the discussion has centered on large concert grands with the
> assumption that one size fits all.  This makes me wonder whether
> we've lost sight of the true salon piano.  Smaller venues would have
> put different demands on piano builders of the early 20th century.
> There would not have been as great a need for hard, driving
> hammers.  Perhaps, therefore, lighter, unlacquered hammers and a
> different geometry would have worked great then and should be (or
> could be) the chosen route for smaller pianos today.  Several years
> ago there was a rush toward very light hammers and a geometry to
> match.  That seems to have fallen out of fashion because that design
> didn't work very well on big pianos in large venues.  How did that
> choice work on smaller pianos?  Much has been said about the virtue
> of choice and diversity, so perhaps we shouldn't put all of our eggs
> in one design basket.  Perhaps we could rediscover the unvarnished
> (unlacquered) Steinway sound of old, recreated in the smaller salons
> of the world.  Especially now when we have so many hammer  and parts
> choices.
>
> Richard West

Well put. When we are dealing with the concert venue, we have to think
in those terms. But there is a big world outside the concert hall, and
one in which a wide range of possibilities could be very successful.
It is unfortunate that the concert stage seems to be the focus of most
major manufacturers, and they tend to build their smaller instruments
to match the characteristics of the largest. I would think there is a
pretty large market for a piano that could be described, as the Knabe
once was, as a piano especially suitable for accompanying voice, as
one example.
	I visited a French pianist (in France) a few years ago, and she was
very clear that her Gaveau was suitable for certain music, but only
the Pleyel should be used for other pieces.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." Twain