[CAUT] Lacquered hammers

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Sun Feb 20 19:11:24 MST 2011

David-

No, my comments are not directly linked.
To clarify:

1) Many of the soundboard construction and design ideas often discussed on
this list: crowned radial ribs, treble fish, large cut-off bars, free
floating bass ends of soundboards, "warm-pressed" hammers, careful inertial
calculations and controlled action ratios, carefully calculated string
scales, etc. are being adopted by Asian manufacturers, Samick, Young Chang,
Hailun and Rittmueller (Pearl River!).  Tonal qualities are as you would
expect: generally smooth and warm, very touch responsive. I have no idea
what concertizing pianists think of these pianos, or if they have even tried
them.

2) General observation: If I remember correctly, neuroscientist Elkhonon
Goldberg wrote that the human
frontal lobes are capable of sustaining about three, maybe four new concepts
simultaneously. My self-observation confirms this. We probably all live
mostly by our prejudices.

How many factors are involved in making, playing, evaluating and selecting a
piano? What are all the reasons why people like pianos? The "reasons" are
not largely rational, but are largely governed by habit, convenience and
"tradition," not to mention the best safe choice we can make in the
circumstance and worrying what other people will think of us.

People under stress become superstitious (think of baseball players coming
to bat). Concert artists are under tremendous stress. Whatever they can do
to relieve the stress and perform well is their best choice in the
circumstance. As piano technicians we will not ever entirely understand why
they do what they do. We may be disappointed in their choices, or confounded
by them. If we can make them happy, reduce their anxiety and help them
perform, that is our job as technicians. As performers, they are always
right.

Department heads live with a different kinds of stresses. I'm glad I don't
have their jobs, and will say no more on that.

3) Finally I am suggesting that since none of us have been chosen to control
the world, or even the piano industry, we might all do well to rehearse our
personal versions of the serenity prayer.

4) Since I am a reviewer, not a soundboard builder, it's easy for me to say
all this. Remember the conversation I was responding to...it was getting
kinda hot there.

5) I love all you guys. Sorta. Sorry if I'm wasting your time.

Ed S.