[CAUT] Hu's on first?

mario at pianosinsideout.com mario at pianosinsideout.com
Tue Feb 22 17:35:45 MST 2011

That's an excellent point. But we have to be aware that pianists don't
necessarily want to be more aware of the technical aspects of touch and
tone. All they know is "this works for me" and "this doesn't". It is our job
to correlate that with technical details and engineer a recipe.

Part of the problem is that a pianist is conditioned from the early age to
be passive about the piano, to adapt to the instrument and acoustical
environment, never the other way around. As a piano student I could never
understand my violin-playing friends who would fuss about the bridge having
slipped that morning (which they fixed), or try to tweak where they stand or
sit on the stage. This is just not the level of control that even enters a
pianist's mind.

Re what shapes tonal taste, is this like taste in cars, for example? Do car
makers react to the demands of the market by making boxier, less wind-drag
efficient cars with ever smaller windows, or does the market simply have no
choice?

Mario Igrec