[CAUT] Should performers rule? (Was Lacquered hammers)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Feb 22 21:59:50 MST 2011

On Feb 22, 2011, at 8:37 PM, Ron Nossaman wrote:

> No. None of the people I've heard the comment from were pounding on
> the piano. Their comment, according to them, had more to do with
> control throughout the dynamic range, particularly the pianissimo.

I wasn't meaning they were necessarily "pounders," but that they
lacked the nuanced control of touch of an accomplished, professional
level pianist. It works at all levels of the spectrum, low and high,
and has to do with how small a change you can make in the action of
your mechanism (personal mechanism, hand/wrist/arm). Less accomplished
pianists can make less nuanced differences, so they find it
particularly hard to play pianissimo - unless the voicing is
relatively soft, and the regulation is tight. With a more controlled
tonal spectrum, where larger differences in touch are required to make
changes in tone, they will find it much easier to play with the
expression they are after.
	All of which is fine, and I have no problem whatsoever with the
practice of designing and building pianos to meet that demand and
need. (Or just voicing and regulating or selecting hammers for the
same need). It is probably a bigger market than the "serious
professional" market. OTOH, I think it is delusional to suppose that
such standards and criteria (in shorthand, a limited spectrum with a
relatively shallow voicing gradient and a leveled off top) will meet
acceptance in the concert hall. Even if lots of other identified
problems (scaling breaks, etc) are solved or at least improved. If you
can deal with the warts and also have a broader and steeper tonal
spectrum, that doesn't cap off, then I think you have a good chance of
success. I've seen/heard that in Ron Overs' pianos, for instance. (And
I don't really mean to be addressing you, Ron N, personally, as I have
very little personal experience with your instruments, and really
don't have enough to go on to form a judgment).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." Twain