[CAUT] tone color

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Wed Feb 23 17:01:59 MST 2011

Greetings,
  I would submit that color is the quality given to musical expression that makes use of the piano's ability to alter the tone with volume.  Since we are more sensitive to higher frequencies, being able to bring out a melodic line with a slight change in volume accompanied by a slight increase in brilliance makes us more aware of the contrast between harmony and melody.  An overly bright piano makes that quality difficult to produce, since there is little tonal contrast between mf and FF.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT
http://www.piano-tuners.org/edfoote/index.htmll

>>Can anyone define "color" in piano tone?  I've always been a bit
baffled by the term because I'm not a good enough player to
appreciate differences in "color."  Is there any way of describing it
in voicing terms that a piano technician is familiar with and could
use to guide his work?

In cases where I've heard comments that a particular piano doesn't
have color, it usually means the action is too light and the tone
much to bright.  Is this what others have experienced?  Darker pianos
seem to have lots of color, as long as they aren't too dull/dead
sounding.

Richard West