[CAUT] Should performers rule? (Was Lacquered hammers)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Feb 23 20:40:19 MST 2011

On Feb 23, 2011, at 8:18 PM, Dale Erwin wrote:

>  I wish the next rebuidlers gallery showcase would limit itself to
> just the world of redesign next time and then spend a great deal
> more time in the details in class and way more time in being able
> for everyone in that convention to be exposed to those piano sounds
> in a really good acoustic environment....thru out the event!!

Well, I was at Rochester, and I was very impressed with Ron Overs'
instrument, which was in the same room with all the others. I tried
the others, and have to say honestly I did not have the same "heavens
opening" experience you describe, Dale. I am quite used to trying
pianos in exhibit halls and whatnot, so I make plenty of allowances.
	So there you have a different person's perspective. Now the idea of
placing a number of instruments on a stage for a trial performance, so
people can listen to them all and compare in a decent environment is a
great one. I'm all for it, and happy to help make it happen.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." Twain