[CAUT] Should performers rule? (Was Lacquered hammers)

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Wed Feb 23 21:27:40 MST 2011

Fred,

You MUST include the pianist's evaluation of the piano AT the keyboard! I totally agree that one piano can sound better in the hall than another. But what matters most is what the pianist thinks, because if he/she won't play it, you have no music on it. (Now how profound is that...) I speak from experience on this one, trying for months to get artists to play a rebuild that they will NOT play. It's a superior piano, but every artist for months has refused to play it and not once has it been heard. I'm dumbfounded and heartbroken over it. I'm angry over it. I've had dozens of technicians help me with it, all for naught. Now, we have several rebuilds (3) but this one is my very favorite.

I've even tried to force the issue by not "quite" tuning the other piano in the hall very well. I've made let off at 1/2 inch and tweaked other aspects of regulation so it plays like a tank. Unmated strings, voicing issues. My "beloved" piano sounded absolutely gorgeous, and the other like crap, so which one did the last famous artist choose? You guessed it. The crapola. When I asked the artist why he chose that piano (as tactfully as I could without showing my feelings) he said "This one has more power". I nearly rolled on the floor in my own vomit...

The bottom line seems to be, as I see it, something that I think Horace said (I think, sorry HG if it wasn't you) about how pianists are not necessarily the best judges of sound. But they are the ones that get to choose, so, they basically rule.

Let's SUPERSIZE. Yeah, that's it. Bigger and LOUDER is better. Turn it up to eleven! Oh yeah.

Jim

p.s. Sorry to yell