[CAUT] Should performers rule? (Was Lacquered hammers)

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Wed Feb 23 23:44:14 MST 2011

 Fred
  Did you actually attend each class and hear each instrument when it wasn't in the hall itself? If not its not an apples to apples comparison.
   Because, there is no way a person could have been very impressed with much in that hall. It was night and day. Deadest hall I have ever experienced. It was scary and disappointing for me as I hauled one of the nicest sounding Ds I have ever laid ears on. I say that as objectively as possible and so many unsolicited comments by the techs there added affirmation.  And later it now resides in The Arkely center for the arts in Eureka, Ca.  Its first outing there....Jim Brickmans tour.  A Yamaha artist.  The tuner Greg Granoff reports he said,  " Best Piano on my entire tour".  Richard Glazier, Gershwin artist, at the Sac convention Sacramento ran to the back of the hall after he performed filled with superlatives.  You can't pay people to do that. Its either real or the emperors new clothes and I'm not fond of that type of apparel.
   Interestingly Ron Os piano was so green when it came in I was not hearing what I had heard previously or on the Lilacs recording, I was disappointed but withheld final opinion till later... and...as he continued to work on the voicing and the treble weight size it came a round in a marvelous way. It sounded intensely better in his class as well.
  I too have a lot of experience at this listening in dead halls and interestingly the sweetest spot in the dead hall was where Ron Os piano sat closer to windows with some bounce. David Hughes as well.
 So now we need to lobby the home office for such an event. Aye?

Dale S. Erwin
www.Erwinspiano.com