[CAUT] Should performers rule? (Was Lacquered hammers)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Feb 24 08:26:18 MST 2011

On Feb 23, 2011, at 11:44 PM, Dale Erwin wrote:

>   Did you actually attend each class and hear each instrument when
> it wasn't in the hall itself? If not its not an apples to apples
> comparison.
>    Because, there is no way a person could have been very impressed
> with much in that hall. It was night and day. Deadest hall I have
> ever experienced. It was scary and disappointing for me as I hauled
> one of the nicest sounding Ds I have ever laid ears on. I say that
> as objectively as possible and so many unsolicited comments by the
> techs there added affirmation.  And later it now resides in The
> Arkely center for the arts in Eureka, Ca.  Its first outing
> there....Jim Brickmans tour.  A Yamaha artist.  The tuner Greg
> Granoff reports he said,  " Best Piano on my entire tour".  Richard
> Glazier, Gershwin artist, at the Sac convention Sacramento ran to
> the back of the hall after he performed filled with superlatives.
> You can't pay people to do that. Its either real or the emperors new
> clothes and I'm not fond of that type of apparel.

	Let me clarify that I did not find that all the rebuilt and/or
redesigned pianos at Rochester were dogs. But I did not find them
special, either. I'll be perfectly honest with you: I thought every
one of them needed at least a good day worth of meticulous prep, to
start with, some more than others. But I have done that kind of prep
many, many times, and I have a pretty good idea of what the potentials
are. I heard some potential, but nothing extraordinary. None of the
instruments in that row stood out particularly (Overs was out of the
row, as his wasn't a rebuild). Reasonably solid rebuilding skill is
what I saw (the word "reasonably" thrown in to cover all the
instruments, some more than others).
	If you want to discount my opinion, decide it was due to conditions
of the room, whatever, you are welcome to do so. Or you can ascribe it
to taste. I am quite upfront in saying that I prefer a lively, bright
piano, with a great deal of contrast. So if that isn't what you are
aiming at, you are unlikely to blow me away. I've been in this game
for a good while now, and I am pretty confident of my ability to pick
out a piano that will work in performance. 40 years as a serious
pianist, 30 as a tech, all with day in, day out time in concert halls,
either taking care of the pianos or playing them, gives one at least
fairly good chops.
	In any case, no ill will intended. I think that unvarnished truth
stated clearly is far friendlier than flattery. In my dual positions
as performer and tech, I see lots of both, and I prefer the former
even if it hurts.
	Not to say that the feedback you got from Eureka wasn't honest. It
probably was.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu