[CAUT] tone color

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Feb 24 08:58:12 MST 2011

On 2/24/2011 9:35 AM, Ed Sutton wrote:
> The new Mason & Hamlin CC with composite action needs to be considered
> as well.
> The change to composite action parts has given this instrument a bolder
> range of response, more power with perhaps less distortion of tone.
> Presumably due to less hammer wobble in the power stroke.
> It would be interesting to hear what composite hammer shanks would do on
> Ron N's D redesign. Or on a standard NYD.

A standard D, perhaps, but it wouldn't turn the D at BYU into a
loudspeaker, or any of the other four Ds I've done. I built them with
the mutual understanding that was what the buyer wanted. These pianos
already have a very broad range of response, as much power in the hall
as any other D, and vastly less distorted tone than the standard D. It
isn't a matter of any one magic part. It's from the foundation up.

Ron N