[CAUT] Bass string & Aliquot bar contact noise

Robert Callaghan robert.callaghan at harmonicity.com
Thu Feb 24 10:02:12 MST 2011

Hello Ron.

I don't know if my thanks to you came through the CAUT forum or not, but I thought I'd contact you at your email to let you know that this problem was resolved.

At your suggestion, we considered the possibility of recapping the bridge or respacing the bridge pins.  Since we willing to ultimately try that we decided to try some other experiments first.
Your statement about the bridge pins not being able to support side bearing forces inspired us to first try replacing the bridge pins with longer, thicker pins for more support.
And it worked, the noise is gone.

It's interesting that the original clues was the noise could also be caused by plucking the string from the side, but it never occurred to me that there would be a design flaw
in such an otherwise wonderful piano.

Anyway, thanks again for your insight.
Robert Callaghan

Another possibility, if the Grotrian was made
around the seventies, is that the bridge was
designed with insufficient spacing between the
unisons. This problem results in insufficient
wood around the pins to properly support the side
bearing forces. With an example I have
experienced, several unison strings are so close
to the pin of its neighbouring unison that noise
(metallic in character) is generated at the
bridge during heavier playing. The source of this
noise can be confirmed by holding a blade
screwdriver between the suspect bridge pins.

In 1988 one of my clients purchased a new bridge
cap from the factory for his Grotrian 223 grand
when he visited Germany. In hindsight, I wish we
had ditched the replacement cap and laid out a
new design. But its easy to be wise after the
event. When my clients son inherits the piano
there are plans to recap the bridge again, but
the board is starting to exhibit symptoms of
failure, so it could end up being a total board
redesign.

Ron O.