[CAUT] beginning luck

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sun Feb 27 14:20:27 MST 2011

On Feb 26, 2011, at 4:13 PM, Brent Fischer wrote:

>  secondly get to Steinway
> factory sessions often and mostly get to their C&A training in the
> basement
> and come away with their endorsement of your work, and leave your
> electronic tuning aid at home when you go.

Hi Brent,
	I think the C & A training (if you mean the final of the four regular
one-week sessions) has changed quite a bit since you went. A couple
years ago when I went, there were four of us in the usual room, and
the only real difference between it and the "tone regulation" session
was that we had Bs and Ds instead of smaller pianos. No work in the
basement. I was disappointed, as I had heard there would only be two
students, and there would be some work with the C & A guys, maybe in
the basement. Of course, since then Kent Webb has taken over the
"Academy" so it might have changed again.
	No need to leave the ETD behind, in fact better not to, as tuning was
done by all four simultaneously, with only flimsy doors dividing us.
Oh, and "their endorsement of your work" is at best informal. It is
made clear that you are not certified by Steinway, though I did
actually get a certificate for the last session. But it said something
like "attended the concert prep session," not even weak wording like
"completed." Obviously you can let people know you did the training,
but you are not supposed to imply anything beyond that. The world
changes.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico