[CAUT] beginning luck

Bdshull at aol.com Bdshull at aol.com
Mon Feb 28 00:56:45 MST 2011

List,

I've followed this thread with interest.  David's thoughtful  essays,
Brent's bombs pregnant with discussion material (I've hit  "send" too soon, too
many times, myself), Fred's always excellent  ideas.

For those who haven't seen it, I suggest a look at the most recent  (Fall
2010) Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyers Guide, beginning on p. 67,
"Rebuilders' Spotlight:  Three Approaches to Piano Restoration"
_http://www.pianobuyer.com/fall10/67.html_ (http://www.pianobuyer.com/fall10/67.html)

As the writer and shameless promoter of the first piece, on  Restorative
Conservation, I am frustrated with the ease with which re-designers  modify
vintage and antique instruments.  I disdain the  resulting culture of
near-ritual modification which obscures a  manufacturer's signature, and which has
occasionally resulted  in immeasurable losses to history.   However, I have
great respect for, and truly  appreciate the significant contributions of
many of these same people,  just as I have those who have helped me to
understand the  necessity of preservation.

I appreciate David's "fuzzy line," in the real world many lines are  fuzzy,
often the consequence of our best efforts to obtain clarity.

I look forward to catching up with a good number of friends  - heretics,
conservators, fuzzy line and not-so-fuzzy line folks at  WESTPAC, where I hope
to have an original condition 1866 Erard vertical on  display at the Period
Piano Center exhibit.  That piano will provide  ammunition for every point
of view.

Bill

Bill Shull,  RPT, M.Mus.
President, Shull Piano Inc
Director, Period Piano  Center
25041 Redlands Blvd
Loma Linda, CA 92354
909 796-4226 bus  cell
bdshull at aol.com
_www.shullpiano.com_ (http://www.shullpiano.com/)
_www.periodpianos.org_ (http://www.periodpianos.org/)

In a message dated 2/27/2011 10:33:01 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,