[CAUT] beginning luck

Horace Greeley hgreeley at sonic.net
Mon Feb 28 01:29:02 MST 2011

Hi,

I think Brent has really hit at least one of the proverbial nails on
the head here when he writes:

"...In the context of support I think the attitude should bend
towards how can my design work compliment the factory without
alienating the core tonal expectations that will exist on stage for
the foreseeable future."

While I think that it is probably inevitable that musical tastes
(and, particularly those of pianists) will probably eventually decide
for something (or, more likely some things, at least for a while)
different, the simple fact of the matter is that, even after all
these decades, all the problems, and all the flirtations with other
manufacturers, the "Steinway sound" (however one chooses to
understand that) is still the sound of choice for the vast majority
of active performers.  Are there other manufacturers making competent
performance instruments?  Of course there are; and there have been
for a very long time.  Do artists choose to play other
instruments?  C'mon...verifiable history is replete with custom built
pianos, concert tours, jazz festivals, etc, etc, etc, in which
artists do choose to play the pianos of other makers.  However, even
after all the fights/disagreements/etc that pianists ranging from
Schnabel to Katchen to Bolet (the list does go on...I've only noted
people whose interest has passed, as it were) have had with the
company, the fact remains that most of them...even those
noted...played most of their concerts and made most of their
recordings on Steinway pianos.  The change, as it comes, will, I
suspect, be driven at least as much by people's conception of tone as
they hear it reproduced through their ear-buds while they listen to
mp3/mp4/etc recordings from their iPods/Pads as by any other change
that might occur.

The point here is that, however one chooses to describe it (and, it
is, after all, a chimera...unique to each hearer), the Steinway sound
is the sound which is expected by pianists when they sit down at a
Steinway.  Something which varies too dramatically from this...and
understandings of that will vary, too...should probably have the
Steinway name and logos removed before delivery.

In any event, I very much like Brent's concept of complimenting
whatever design might exist "without alienating the core tonal
expectations..."; and working in smaller venues while new designs are
tested more thoroughly to see what does and does not stand up to
performance needs and expectations.  That is a very wide field of
tone and response to explore, with tremendous room for variation;
and, as Brent notes, no one's career or reputation winds up on the line.

Developing things along these kinds of lines sounds to me like
everyone wins...and that qualifies as a Very Good Thing.

Best.

Horace