[CAUT] beginning luck

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Mon Feb 28 00:14:06 MST 2011

Hi Brent
  Thanks for clarifying all that.
 Actually I have said many of the same things you were just saying would be good discussion points....and  Basically that is that I am trying to do in my work is..... enhance and focus the best components of the Steinway sound and remove what many see as inherent weaknesses. ie weak 6 th octaves and rough bass tenor breaks as well as enhancing the overall sustain and color possibility's within that realm. I don't always succeed  as well as I would like but on other occasions exceeded the goal for my ears at least and then let others decide. Actually many of us cauts are trying to exceed Steinway tonal standards all the time. I think most of us would agree that this is accomplished by applying excellent technical skills in the attempt to maximize the voice we have in front of us.

  For the record.....I am very fond of the historic Steinway sound in its best form, as are many of the professors and students we all work for, and yet, many are not fans of its inconsistencies/deficiencies and tone in its worst forms.

  Speaking only for myself I don't really think that we are that far apart in our likes and dislikes of that tone and I don't think there is a disconnect between this rebuilder and faculty. I do however find that many fine pianist have ears that are leading them intuitively on a  tonal safari that they are compelled to take because are not finding what they need in the tonal jungle in many of the garden variety Steinways they have to work with. It is important to listen to them too. Sometimes its the piano that has issues and sometimes its the lack of budget and sometimes its us.

I am all for the suggestion you outlined in the part below which I underlined regarding small venue musical events. This is where my heart is at this stage of my career.  Put it out there and enjoy it and get feedback whatever it might be. David Andersen and I have done this for quite a while at his Atelier venue in Santa Monica. We put custom restored instruments in many iterations in front of people with great players and it is a ball.

As to your last comment I underlined.
   Everyday people are refining products that others have patents on, that they did not invent, but, what they did do is work hard to take that product to a higher level, or a different level, more features or a divergent performance level,...why not the piano or the Steinway for that matter?,.... and that's where I feel the rub is here in these discussions is that some,  are offended by that. It certainly is easy in the e-mail forum to mistake enthusiasm for ego Certainly we are all proud of our skills and efforts.  I believe in affirming people & there gifts and not posturing for the sake of pride. As for me I am not an extremist personality  & not and ego freak who has to say its better, bigger, badder. I realize one of posts came off like that.
  And yet....... I've heard things.........that are outside the box because I have availed myself to them when the opportunity arose. And as any person experimenting with experimental designs,...sometime a qualitative break thru occurs and we want to share it and have others bench mark it so it doesn't' come off as if we are just blowing our own horns.  That's what I would like to do,... with out ego, without bashing the company as it were....., just be able to share these thing with enthusiasm, but call spades spades. Ok?
  FWIW....This is where  I am coming from

 Dale S. Erwin
www.Erwinspiano.com

-