[CAUT] beginning luck

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun Feb 27 23:32:40 MST 2011

If I may offer something.  Not to start this entire thread all over again
because I think much that came out of it that was a real benefit and I don't
see a need to start from scratch.  But in the beginning of the discussion it
was said quite explicitly that the so called "redesign" people fall into two
groups (at least).  Group one consists of those who are really after
something altogether different and are employing all the features fully
expecting that what comes out of it will be somewhat, maybe quite, unique
(when compared to the original) in its tonal output.  Group two consists of
those who are employing some or all of those features in modified executions
with the intention not of creating something with a completely different
signature from the original but rather with the hope of enhancing the
existing tonal  signature and remedy some of the "warts", so to speak.  The
point at which those features and their implementation crosses some fuzzy
line (and it is a bit fuzzy) and moves things far enough away from the
original that it morphs into something quite different is not always easy to
determine.  For those in group two, in fact, that is the challenge: to
resolve some of the weaknesses of the original designs without making it
into something not recognizable-your "joining of forces".   There is, of
course, also group three,  which I consider myself to be part of, and that
consist of those who do both depending on the type of project, customer,
specific piano, etc.  Some projects may adhere much more closely to the
original and some might deviate considerably.

I won't speak for Dale but I think I know which group he would probably
place himself in.  I think I know where others who have been involved in
this conversation would place themselves as well.  I don't know who is
claiming to reinvent the wheel but I think it's important not to lump all
"redesign" people in the same category.  It's also important to recognize
that those in group one are quite aware of what they are doing, I believe.
While one may not agree with it or what it produces, the piano world is
replete with pianos that produce varied outcomes and I think the commitment
they are making to their ideas is genuine and honest.  So to disparage  them
by "legend in their own mind" comments because their goals are not in line
with what you imagine to be the a more credible approach is probably not
really worthy of the discussion so far in spite of the heated rhetoric
that's taken place at times.  Personally, I agree that a collaboration with
pianists for concert instruments (or any instrument for that matter) is
always important and for any redesigner or even for one who spends the bulk
of their time rebuilding by more conventional methods, there is always a
danger of working in a vacuum.   Similarly, the commitment of some
manufacturers to maintain the status quo even in the face of countless
reports by technicians in the field of weaknesses or failures can also be
driven by something other than "a joining of forces" and can often be
relegated to mere habit or pride.   The "legends in their own mind"
description may just as well apply here.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com