[CAUT] Steinway sound

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Mon Feb 28 23:01:24 MST 2011

 Laurence
 Well put. So many pianos so little time

Dale S. Erwin
www.Erwinspiano.com

. Lots of singers and string players would be happier performing with smaller pianos, but there's such status associated with using a D that many pianists would be embarrassed at having to use anything less, even for chamber music in a smallish hall. I'm not convinced that the supposed greater range of tone from a D (even though not much 19th-century music gets into the lowest and top octaves) makes up for the necessity of having to hold back; I'd rather enjoy a pianist playing the hell out of a C or an A instead of pussyfooting around a D on a half-stick.
Laurence
.

  But admittedly I'm speculating as to why earlier Steinways   designs may have been successful, but perhaps not powerful enough to compete   with a large concerto orchestra in large halls, due to lack of hammer weight.