[CAUT] Steinway sound

Laurence Libin lelibin at optonline.net
Mon Feb 28 21:17:28 MST 2011

That perception might be due not to lack of power from the piano but to excessive volume from the orchestra, compensated to some degree perhaps by tuning the piano sharp. I wonder if this competition first occurred in American orchestras; back in the day, Bechsteins seem to have managed okay with European orchestras in reasonable-size halls. But maybe the contest was sparked by virtuosi who wanted to dominate the orchestra rather than partner with it. Anyway, too bad the demands of concerto playing set a goal of greater power for all pianos, and that concert grands became the norm even for chamber music and voice accompaniment. Lots of singers and string players would be happier performing with smaller pianos, but there's such status associated with using a D that many pianists would be embarrassed at having to use anything less, even for chamber music in a smallish hall. I'm not convinced that the supposed greater range of tone from a D (even though not much 19th-century music gets into the lowest and top octaves) makes up for the necessity of having to hold back; I'd rather enjoy a pianist playing the hell out of a C or an A instead of pussyfooting around a D on a half-stick.
Laurence
.
    But admittedly I'm speculating as to why earlier Steinways designs may have been successful, but perhaps not powerful enough to compete with a large concerto orchestra in large halls, due to lack of hammer weight.