[CAUT] Steinway sound

rwest1 at unl.edu rwest1 at unl.edu
Mon Feb 28 20:20:08 MST 2011

It would seem to me that shank distortion would be as measurable a
physical property as any other and therefore it would be controllable
by the manufacturer .  Apply a given force and a given flex will
result.  Parts inconsistencies from note to note up and down the
scale will indeed  be present.  But that's a given with any action,
it seems to me.  A carefully crafted action still has enough
consistency from key to key for the pianist to control anyhow.  And
that would include controlling the flex of the shank.  The fact that
the force may vary as the piano is played is exactly the point.  The
pianist varies the force to produce the variation in volume and tone.

What I'm saying, therefore, is that perhaps a greater degree of flex
may be desirable in Steinway's smaller grands because of the tonal
results.  But admittedly I'm speculating as to why earlier Steinways
designs may have been successful, but perhaps not powerful enough to
compete with a large concerto orchestra in large halls, due to lack
of hammer weight.

As Fred states, we don't want to see the hammer wobbling left to
right, but the fact that the hammer arches back on a hard blow and
delivers a strike differently and in a different area of the hammer
from a soft blow, a strike without significant shank distortion, may
be a good thing, without any more inconsistency of control than a
rigid shank.  In fact there may be more variability and a wider
choice of color and volume.  Until, of course, the weight of the
hammer is not great enough to really punch out the concerto volume.

Richard West