[CAUT] Humidity Damage

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Jan 4 11:54:31 MST 2011

On Jan 4, 2011, at 10:29 AM, Ron Nossaman wrote:

> But then paraffin isn't necessarily a solid. Ballistol is largely
> paraffin oil, where in other parts of the world, paraffin is the
> name used for what we call kerosene.

Yes, true enough. Paraffin oil, and lots of other compounds are called
paraffin. Paraffin wax is what we are used to as the meaning of the
word. Who knows what they meant. If it was kerosene (as in Britain),
it might have been the solvent to get the tallow into the wool,
without the need for heat.
	Still, those old Steinway bushings have a solidity to them that is
different from other old bushings. Doesn't seem like it would come
from old sheep grease, but it certainly might.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
http://www.createculture.org/profile/FredSturm