[CAUT] New suggestions for practice room pianos

Allan Gilreath, RPT allangilreath at bellsouth.net
Sat Jan 22 15:20:12 MST 2011

Good afternoon all,

Admittedly representing several brands as a dealer and a tech rep, we've
found the instruments that we sell to hold up; that's why we sell them.
I suppose that's one of the advantages of having an RPT making those
decisions for a company regarding what to sell.

At the entry level, the Kohler and Campbell studios have held up well
and the Knabes have done exceptionally well. Samick has come light years
from where they used to be and anyone who hasn't played a recent
production instrument needs to check them out.

Many people have yet to see the W. Hoffmann that is built by Bechstein
but we can't keep them in stock and I know that the factory is
back-logged trying to keep up with orders (while they expend production
and maintain quality.)

The Bechstein Academy A2 is a step up in price but gets the institution
into a German-built piano for the more particular settings. Once you
play one, you'll know.

I totally agree with Ed regarding the need for pianists to play on
different instruments and need to look up the message that Rick Florence
posted a few years ago; one of the best arguments I've heard for why
musicians need broad exposure to the capabilities and limitations of
various brands and models.  Just some thoughts from what I've seen
working well and that I maintain on a regular basis.

Allan
Allan Gilreath, RPT
Registered Piano Technician

President - Allan Gilreath & Associates, Inc.
website - www.allangilreath.com <http://www.allangilreath.com>
email - allan at allangilreath.com <mailto:allan at allangilreath.com>
phone - 706 602-7667