[CAUT] Fw: Actions By Design

Joe Goss imatunr at srvinet.com
Wed Jun 29 09:32:09 MDT 2011

Hi Folks<
Thought I would update my thoughts on the recent Reno Seminar.
Two things
Met a tool I got to have ( grand hammer head extractor pliers )
Feature that sold me on the tool was that the leverage it uses to pop the hammer off the shank is much greater than any of the other tools of similar function. Its compact sturdy construction makes it very easy to remove the hammer with less danger of affecting flange pinning when removing the hammer while parts are still attached to the rail.
Dale's tool is available from Pianoforte.

Secondly,
Have you ever heard a Yamaha Grand not mostly sound like a Jazz only instrument?
Ray Negron & Weickert felt hammers.
Ray took us through the process of how his company (my thoughts) has returned to the old way of making hammers.
Not the new way of Hot pressed hammers, that need the tech with a arm like Godzilla, to needle the hammer into submission,
to produce a reasonable tone.
Our day was mostly spent the first half with Dale The second half with Ray, with the host's Yamaha grand used as a work bench.
At 3:55 PM the piano was cleaned off and Wade Muncy, the owner proceeded to play a very romantic jazz tune. Followed by several other tecs who
played other styles that made the piano show what it was able to produce and support stylistically.

No attempts at pre voicing were done, this was a raw hung set of hammers.

I think from the comments made, all were as stunned and pleased as I, at the range of dynamics and styles that were available to the performer

Joe Goss BSMusEd MMusEd RPT
imatunr at srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com