[CAUT] Lists and the new software

Bdshull at aol.com Bdshull at aol.com
Wed Jun 29 15:43:36 MDT 2011

All,

Don Mannino posted this on the pianotech discussion forum and it was so
thoughtfully written I'm sharing it with several lists, new and old....

Regards,

Bill

Most of this discussion mirrors my own feelings about the new system. At
first I was just astounded at how difficult it is to use, and to view
messages  on line, etc. Once I started using it again as an e-mail list it became
less  onerous, but it still has strong limitations that bother  me.

However, some of the criticism written recently is  overstated, mainly
because some people have not taken the time to wade through  the instructions to
set up the new e-mail subscription. Which is a  pain.

Once the plain text e-mail format is set up, the new system  will function
mostly like the old, except it needs to be in plain text format,  and you
cannot simply attach files to messages. Of course, there are other
limitations – but overall, it does work.

But having said  that, it is very clear that the new setup is disliked by a
large percentage of  past users, and that the on-line web based version is
just plain dumb and  disorganized in function. To me, it is all but useless.

I checked  some of the other companies (all non-profits) that the software
vendor  advertises as using their software. It appears that all of them have
the same  semi-dysfunctional format instead of a logical, threaded forum as
is readily  available from other software vendors. So it does appear that
the software  itself is not adaptable to work like a normal informational
forum, as we all  have used. Piano World is one great example, but also most
computer companies  have support forums which are very simple to use.

>From what I  have heard in talking to PTG people, the software package was
purchased for a  wide variety of uses. For some aspects of what the PTG
needs it to do, it  apparently has features that are beneficial and useful
– especially to the  board and committee members. The software company,
Higher Logic (and yes, that  company name seems especially ironic to me)
apparently sold the PTG a bill of  goods, featuring all of the truly useable
features and somehow glossing over the  member discussion areas. Our management is
not immune to making mistakes, of  course, and instead of having some key
forum users look at the software and  evaluating it, they seem to have
believed what they were told and went with the  package. I know that I would have
been very glad to have evaluated the software,  and I think others would
have as well, and that step alone would have prevented  this fiasco. Or at
least, one would hope so.

As it is now, things  are awkward. I believe the issue will be discussed at
length in Council, but I  don’t know what decisions can be made. Once
the money has been spent it  becomes very hard to simply right it off
completely and move to something  different. Plus, those features of the PTG
software that are beneficial would  need to be retained. So throwing it out
completely doesn’t make sense, but  there are options.

In my opinion, here are the current issues and  possibilities:

- It is beneficial for PTG to administer mail lists for  members, to keep
searchable archives, and to provide the central location for  managing list
subscriptions as a service to the PTG members and technical  community.

- The list maintenance and management (eliminating spam,  dealing with
hacks, fixing subscriber issues, etc.) really should be a volunteer  activity.
This has been the case to some degree in the past, and the process has
become rather overbearing for those involved. Especially keeping junk out
apparently has become a very time consuming problem.

- Good software  should solve the junk / spam issue, and the current
software seems to have done  so as far as I know. But of course, the software is
in other ways bad and we  don’t like it.

- This software allowed the maintenance of both web  based and e-mail based
discussions. Unfortunately it does both of them  badly.

What can we do instead?

- Ask the PTG to set up  different software for community forums separate
from Higher Logic, with trials  and input from members and users.

- Decide if we all would be happy with  an on-line forum instead of e-mail.
This would be a big change for many, but in  my opinion would solve the
problem of both SPAM and ease of use. But the  messages would not move through
our e-mail software.

- If we all vote for  continuing this as an e-mail service, then a group of
administrators needs to  share the responsibilities for maintaining it.
This could be set up as an  ongoing committee, made up of technically minded
and interested people from our  membership. The administration would still be
handled like before through the  PTG web site.

If there are web forums that allow both e-mail and  well organized web
based forums, I’d love to have that option. But so far I  haven’t seen
such a thing.

Personally, my vote would be for  an on-line forum, similar to Piano World
or other such forums. I am much more  comfortable taking an hour or two each
day to scan things in an online forum,  and read and contribute to threads
that are of interest and that I can  contribute to. I also feel this is less
distracting for my work day, as it  doesn’t pull me away from other
work to read incoming messages all day.  These can also be formatted for
mobile devices – something that would make  life very much easier for many
who use smartphones.

Wait, can we  get someone to write a PTG APP for iPhone, Android, and
Windows Phone? Now  there’s an idea.

I am not a PTG-L subscriber, so cannot post  there. If anyone wishes to
re-post this in that area, feel  free.

Don Mannino RPT

Bill Shull,  RPT, M.Mus.
President, Shull Piano Inc
Director, Period Piano  Center
25041 Redlands Blvd
Loma Linda, CA 92354
909 796-4226 bus  cell
bdshull at aol.com
_www.shullpiano.com_ (http://www.shullpiano.com/)
_www.periodpianos.org_ (http://www.periodpianos.org/)

In a message dated 6/29/2011 8:42:49 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
imatunr at srvinet.com writes:

Hi Folks<
Thought I would update my thoughts on the recent  Reno Seminar.
Two things
Met a tool I got to have ( grand hammer head  extractor pliers )
Feature that sold me on the tool was that the  leverage it uses to pop the
hammer off the shank is much greater than any of  the other tools of similar
function. Its compact sturdy construction makes it  very easy to remove the
hammer with less danger of affecting flange pinning  when removing the
hammer while parts are still attached to the rail.
Dale's tool is available from  Pianoforte.

Secondly,
Have you ever heard a Yamaha Grand not mostly  sound like a Jazz only
instrument?
Ray Negron & Weickert felt  hammers.
Ray took us through the process of how his  company (my thoughts) has
returned to the old way of making  hammers.
Not the new way of Hot pressed hammers, that need  the tech with a arm like
Godzilla, to needle  the hammer into submission,
to produce a reasonable tone.
Our day was mostly spent the first half with Dale  The second half with
Ray, with the host's Yamaha grand used as a work  bench.
At 3:55 PM the piano was cleaned off and Wade  Muncy, the owner proceeded
to play a very romantic jazz tune. Followed by  several other tecs who
played other styles that made the piano show  what it was able to produce
and support stylistically.

No attempts at pre voicing were done, this was a  raw hung set of hammers.

I think from the comments made, all were as  stunned and pleased as I, at
the range of dynamics and styles that were  available to the performer

Joe Goss BSMusEd MMusEd RPT
_imatunr at srvinet.com_ (mailto:imatunr at srvinet.com)
_www.mothergoosetools.com_ (http://www.mothergoosetools.com/)