[CAUT] Fwd: Steinway sound-Hammer weights

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Tue Mar 1 20:35:11 MST 2011

Modified versions of this taper are common today. The last hammer cauls I designed were of this type. They are not a “straight continuous taper from the bottom hammer to about note 72,” though. They hold fairly straight through about the middle of the scale and then curve gently down to the top. This gives a smoother mass transition and, hence, a smoother voice gradient across the compass of the scale.

One difficulty with this style of hammer is need to match the thickness of the felt to that of the caul. It is not as easy as it is with a straight taper; more care has to be taken with quality control measurements to make sure the dimension of the felt you’ve received matches the dimension of the felt you’ve ordered.

And at least some hammermakers are learning how to work with heated side cauls in ways that do not destroy the “working” portion of the felt—i.e., from the parting line around the crown of the hammer. Technology is wonderful. OK, some technology is wonderful. Well, a little bit of it is, anyway….

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich

Piano Design & Fabrication

620 South Tower Avenue