[CAUT] Fwd: Steinway sound-Hammer weights

Edward Sambell esambell at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 1 22:17:15 MST 2011

Thanks Del; that's very informative. I have heard your pianos, and they sound
wonderful, and so do those of Dale and Ron . My feeling is that softer hammers,
without dope, need a responsive soundboard. Which is what appeals to me. One
time I was at a small piano factory, asking questions, and the superintendant
told me, almost belligerently, that their soundboards would not give even one
sixty-fourth of an inch under downbearing pressure. Their sound was ugly and
rife with false beats. One of my customers  has a remarkably beautiful sounding
RX7 Kawai grand. Its hammers are somewhat soft and free of dope, and there is
more than adequate power

Ted Sambell.