[CAUT] Fwd: Steinway sound-Hammer weights

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Wed Mar 2 09:14:51 MST 2011

Just how much does the string mass change in the treble section of a piano like the Model S compared to, say, a Model D? I just pulled up one each randomly selected Model S scale and Model D scale. The Model D has this:

     C-88 length = 49 mm

     C-76 length = 99 mm

     C-64 length = 184 mm

The Model S has this:

     C-88 length = 58 mm

     C-76 length = 97 mm

     C-64 length = 182 mm

String scales certainly do change with the length of the piano further on down the scale but for the top two octaves, well, the guy notching the bridges could have been off that far. I tend to end up with hammers of the quite similar mass in the top octave or two regardless of piano length.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich

Piano Design & Fabrication

620 South Tower Avenue