[CAUT] Fwd: Steinway sound-Hammer weights

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Mar 3 19:40:32 MST 2011

Understandable.  You feel a bit more in control voicing down than guessing
about lacquer and how the lacquer will develop over time.  The Weickert and
Wurzen Ronsens will, IMO, need some time to develop to achieve what it seems
like you're after and that's not always doable in a must-be-ready-now
concert hall situation.  That is, not without adding a lot of lacquer which
sort of defeats the whole idea.  The upper end will, however, probably need
a bit of help, though not as much as a NY Steinway or Bacon felt hammer.

Understanding how to work with a voice down type of hammer is really
important.  If you aren't familiar with that style of hammer on a NY D and
simply start crown needling like you do on a lacquered hammer you get
nowhere fast and it's not a very good nowhere.  So on a Steinway D what is
your voicing down hammer of choice?  This goes back to this discussion some
tens of posts back where I suggested that the Hamburg Steinway hammer was
often a good choice for a New York D (got some resistance there).  I still
feel that way, especially in the situation you describe.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com