[CAUT] Fwd: Steinway sound-Hammer weights

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Mar 4 10:17:33 MST 2011

On Mar 3, 2011, at 7:40 PM, David Love wrote:

> So on a Steinway D what is
> your voicing down hammer of choice?

I have simply used Steinway D hammers and lacquered them for the Ds
under my care, thus far, and I am happy with the results, as are my
"clients." I use any number of different hammers for Bs and smaller,
and haven't come upon any that I can't work with (mostly Abel and
Renner products), though some are easier to work with than others. I
don't have the time to change out hammers all that often, and
certainly don't have "time to waste" on them, as in experimenting and
then deciding that set didn't work and changing them out. It has to
work, period. (I have plenty of money for parts, just not enough time
to put them on and set them up - and they have to be ready to go when
the fall semester starts, little down time).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
"We either make ourselves happy