[CAUT] Fwd: Steinway sound-Hammer weights: tiny bit OT

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri Mar 4 10:40:28 MST 2011

Hi Fred,

When I first started here at UNL, we were given a nice Steinway L from
1932.  I gave it a major rehab, got a new board and pin-block, etc etc.
Since we were fully stocked with enough grands, this gave me an
opportunity to take out one of the Baldwin R's replacing it with the
Steinway, and now have a "loaner" grand.  If I need to rebuild a piano
during the academic year, I can do so except for concert instruments and
piano faculty B's.  Those are strictly summer projects :>) I plan on
trying different hammers on different practice grands until I feel more
confident knowing which hammer works best for a particular piano. I've
never, for instance, worked with Ronson, Hamburg S&S hammers, and a number
of other hammers I hear lots about.

I haven't replaced too many hammers as of yet in my very fast 5 years
here, so this is still a fascinating learning stream I've been following.
Actually, I think I started this whole topic under a different name (bum
set of NY Steinway hammers), and it morphed into a number of off-shoots.
Like you, I have been using Wally (Abel) Naturals and Renner nearly
exclusively and have a good feel for how to work them.  The NY Steinway
hammers were my first set, hence my massive stress out level working with
them.

With all your good advice, folks, I'm more confident working with the NY
hammers, but unfortunately, it will have to wait until summer!

Paul