[CAUT] Hammers are felt springs--was Steinway....

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Sun Mar 6 12:57:02 MST 2011

Hi Dale,

I think I refer to them as Wally's since he developed them with Abel.  No
Steinway's work at Steinway anymore. Should we start calling the Webbs?
(just kidding, of course). Let's give Wally the kudos of getting these on
the market.  I think Mel is a great lady and is running the Brooks Co
wonderfully.  She's great!!....and I Love the Naturals!  Perhaps we'll
just start calling them "Naturals"?? I think Wally needs a bit of
recognition though...

I think it might be a good idea for all of us to contact hammer producers
to develop some sort of a soft (not too much so) hammer designed for just
practice rooms and other small teacher studios, etc.  I'm wondering if
there would be a market for this.  I spend a lot of time voicing down
practice grands that are played 16 hours a day.  No matter what I put on
them, they're harsh and painful in just a few months, but built well
enough to handle quite a few years of abuse. Sure, these will be overly
bright soon enough, but is there a technology to construct such a hammer?
This coming from a "green" college tech who knows very little about hammer
construction.

On the other hand, I don't want to start out with a "mushy" sound that
will only get to a nice level in 6 months. These students who play these
pianos have futures that are sitting there in our hands to make them work
and sound properly, so I think there must be a "happy family" somewhere.
We have to keep in mind why we're all here....for the students, mostly.
The stage is a totally different issue.

Anything to lesson this massive care of practice pianos is all welcome to
me.  Or, I'll just have to keep the needles in good supply. BTW, I do
steam them as a "quick" fix...with a capachino steamer which the students
find fascinating to watch!  I learned this from Roger Gable about 15 years
ago. Nice quick fix.  If the hammers are rocks, however, it doesn't really
work well and I don't run the steamer over them more than twice.

What say you fellow CAUT's?? I'm I out in left field....again :>(???  just
trying to learn this crazy caut thing!!

Best,
Paul